Saturday, December 03, 2005

Tea and Strumpets

Day 3 of the 25 days of cookies: The KitchenAid mixer is still broken. None of the appliance repair places around here seem to be able to fix it, so Tom got curious and took it apart. I always thought that KitchenAid had a bombproof reputation, but there was a plastic (!) gear inside, and of course that was the one that broke. We found a replacement part online for $14 (plus $15 shipping and handling to get it here in two days). In the meantime, my noodle arms are holding strong. I find that a wire wisk does wonders as a mixer substitute.

I had to play catch-up today and make day 2 and day 3 cookies. The "raspberry strippers" turned out pretty darn good, and I made a batch with some orange fruit spread from Trader Joes as well. Those were spectacular.

The day 3 Junior Mint brownies required some improvisation as I had no Junior Mints lying around the house, but I did have some peppermint patties left over from last Valentine's day. There weren't quite enough, so I threw in a couple of milk chocolate hearts. You are supposed to melt them with some butter in the microwave, and then stir the whole thing into a smooth, creamy consistency. I ended up with liquid chocolate with glops of minty stuff that would not dissolve, no mater how much I waved it. But I pushed onward anyway. I haven't actually tried it yet. It's still on the counter cooling. The middle is a little collapsed, and I don't know if that's because I used a 9-inch pan instead of an 8-inch pan (I can never remember which one I have, and I'm far too lazy to actually measure it.) or because I live at 5,000 ft elevation. Hey, as long as they're chocolatey, I really don't care if they collapse in the middle.

I peeked ahead to tomorrow's recipe: gingerbread men. We are planning to do all of our Christmas shopping tomorrow (online, of course). I really don't have time for gingerbread men. I am beginning to doubt the complete-ability of this project. Perhaps I will just swap oatmeal spice cookies for gingerbread men, but when am I ever going to have time to do gingerbread men? Only time will tell... For now, I have a big tupperware full of macadamia butter blueberry cookies, "raspberry strippers" (the name never ceases to amaze me) and mint brownies to pawn off on my husband and coworkers. It should keep them happy and complacent for awhile, until I can get to those @#$^%$#!! gingerbread men.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter