Thursday, September 22, 2005

Where can I get pizza, pizza pie?

Let's leave the world of travel for a minute to discuss more important matters: pizza. Although some people consider this an Italian invention, there is no doubt in my mind that pizza as we know it is a uniquely American food. And as such, I am giving out my Smurfy Murphey Award for Best Pizza in totally random cities across the United States.

Lincoln, Nebraska (my hometown): Valentino's Pizza

This is an easy one. No contest, hands down, everyone in Nebraska knows that Valentino's simply cannot be beat. Most of us were weaned on the stuff. Soft thick crust, plenty of secret recipe sauce and loads of mozarella cheese, plus all of your favorite toppings. I have been told by those from elsewhere that this is a weird Nebraskan obsession, but I challenge you to try this delectable treat and judge for yourself.

Idaho Springs, Colorado: Beau Jo's Pizza

Ah, Beau Jo's. Another classic. This is the place to stop when you are headed down I-70 after a long day of skiing. You may have to wait to get in, but it is worth it. And I guarantee, you will leave stuffed. My favorite thing about Beau Jo's are the bottles of honey on every table. You'll have lots of big, poofy crusts left that you can smother in honey and eat for dessert (if you can make room in your tummy).

Seattle, Washington: Atlantic Street Pizza

This one is hotly contested. While my buddy Sam insists that this is the place, I personally have a second favorite, My Brother's Pizza, which serves cute little individual pizzas that they bake in bowls and then flip upside down. Atlantic Street does make a mean crust, but if you are not into spicy sauce, this may not be the pizza for you.

St. Louis, Missourri: Racanelli's Pizza

If you like greasy, drippy, floppy New York-style pizza, this place is not to be missed. While Racanelli's may not win my vote for the country's best pizza, it is heads above what I easily consider to be the worst pizza in the whole country: Imo's. Now I know that many St. Louisans (or whatever they're called) will heartily object to my poo-pooing of Imo's, but no one should be subjected to rubbery cheese atop saltines and ketchup.

Runner up: Pointer's Pizza, home of the Pointersaurus. This place is open late, and they have huge pizzas. They don't taste bad, either. As an aside, I also really like the turkey club sandwich.

Bozeman, Montana: Mackenzie River Pizza Co.

This place has great pizza AND great beer. A combination not to be overlooked. Try the lodgepoles, too. They're dee-licious.

Albuquerque, New Mexico: Saggio's

This was a tough choice. While I think that Il Vicino has fabulous wood oven pizza, and a killer IPA (Wet Mountain IPA), I defer to maximum amounts of cheese, in which case Saggio's wins by a few pounds. It should be noted, however, that pizza in general is substandard in the southwest, where enchiladas rule the universe! (Stay tuned for a later edition discussing the merits of enchiladas and chile).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chicago??
Hello??
Gino's East??!

9:06 PM  
Blogger K. Murphey said...

Egads! How could I forget Gino's East in Chicago? I have indeed been to this place, and yes, it is delectable, quintessential Chicago-style pizza. Nice walls, too.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter